The Carolina Reaper Pepper – HP22B World Record Holder?

by Thelurch on October 7, 2012 · 8 comments

in Chilli Varieties

We at Chilefoundry reported back in November 2011 about this mysterious “HP22B” pepper which seemed to suddenly appear on the scene with apparent consistant lab test results showing its heat at an average of 1.5 SHU’s. I am obviously talking about the Carolina Reaper pepper as it is now more commonly known, developed, bred and grown by Ed Currie and his company The Pucker Butt Pepper Company  in the USA, this pepper is well on course to take the title of the Worlds Hottest Chilli.

To create a stable new variety takes many seasons of growing the plant, selecting the seed and re growing, and Ed has been doing just that. New varieties dont just appear overnight as the plants have to have the ability to grow “true” to the original parent, in plant growth, pod shape and heat levels. That all takes time.

The Carolina Reaper has now been released and seeds are available to buy, but from only two stockists,

Ed himself at The Pucker Butt Pepper Company  and also Pepper Joe

So why hasnt this pepper been awarded the world record yet? Well that takes time too, and money. It is being processed as we speak. There has been a lot of hype surrounding this pepper, lots of people have been doubting whether it was for real.

We do like to sample these type of things before giving our opinion, its the only way to get a true understanding of whether the hype is justified or not.

So I was lucky enough to try a pod just before FFUK a few weeks ago, these were brought over by Ted Barrus F.B.I, having received them directly from Ed.

I will state now that I didnt try a whole one, I had about a quarter but that was enough! It was truly brutal and the burn was honestly like nothing I have experienced before from a Chilli, the burn was all over my mouth in seconds and a vicious throat burn to it, I swear I could feel the small piece I ate going down my throat and could feel it sitting in my abdomen very quickly, and just like others have said, there is definately a sweetness to them.

As you can see from the images above and below, these Chillis are gnarly and ugly, the skin is so rough, reminiscent of a 7 Pot Primo but different. I saw a selection and they were folded in themselves with little crevices all over and a little spike on the bottom.

So anyone who wants to doubt the effect these chillis have, please dont, they are the hottest natural thing I have eaten and if you dont believe me, have a look here, where our own Darth Naga is joined by Ted Barrus and Danebear to sample their delights,

WARNING: this video contains vomit, swearing and people in pain, you have been warned!

And here’s Leo “HomeGrownUkChili” Scott’s take on them:

So I for one am growing them next year, whether I can achieve the same heat levels with the UK Climate remains to be seen, but Im looking forward to trying.

And will it get the world record? Only time will tell.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

avatar Gary Smith June 3, 2014 at 4:32 pm

These look the gear, a couple in a roasting bag with chicken wings.

avatar Carolina Reaper May 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Now you can say it is OFFICIALLY the world’s hottest since Guinness World Records now acknowledges it. 2.2 million scovilles is quite a punch in the mouth.

avatar Gerald Fowler November 29, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Carolina Reaper chilli seeds.
We are selling Carolina Reaper chilli seeds in the uk and Europe on behalf of Ed Currie.
Check out http://www.chileseeds.co.uk

avatar Kalamazoo September 23, 2013 at 7:56 am

I have 7 plants going at this time 9-23-2013. I have picked 3 ripe pods off of one plant and others are starting to ripen. People may want to start these a week or two earlier [than normal] in a lower Michigan climate. I have three in 5 gallon Smart Pots here in town, and one in the ground here in town: And 3 in the ground at the farm. The three at the farm seem to be doing the best as I fertilized them with 3 year-old sheep manure.
I have health issues that prevent me from trying these. I can only handle Jalapenos at this time. However, I grew these so I could introduce them to the City of Kalamazoo and surrounding areas. I have a couple of Mexican restaurants that want to try them. But I think after seeing the video above [and a few others] that I better print off a disclaimer and a factoid sheet before I sell or give them away.
I was intrigued by Pepper Joe’s video… that if one carefully slices off a small chunk and uses them sensibly, then one can enjoy the seemingly hidden flavors and delights not found in one who overpowers all senses by eating a whole pod. {You guys are crazy! But I still love ya’}

avatar JoeMamma March 4, 2013 at 3:26 am

These look awesome! Got some seeds in from Pepper Joe (and Ed, I guess) and started the seeds today! I can’t wait. Is it true that they germinate and sprout in about a week? That would be insane!! I’m used to super-hots taking 30+ days to sprout….

avatar Patrick December 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I was really looking forward to growing this monster myself. I’ve been growing superhots for eight years or so. I am a little concerned about stability. I’ve seen multi shaped and different colored pods on plants that have been grown from these seeds. One plant produced yellow pods. I see that one of the sellers has added a disclaimer under the photograph of the Carolina Reaper, “Pod shapes, color and size may vary” Does this suggest some stability issues? Shouldn’t a stable pepper be consistent in shape, color and size?

avatar Peppr Joe December 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

By now there has been maybe two dozen Video Reviews on the Carolina Reaper. They all say the same thing…it is the hottest they have ever tried…and it is delicious. See more about the Carolina Reaper and how to order at http://www.pepperjoe.com

avatar Pepper Joe October 14, 2012 at 6:41 am

Hey Gang,
I have tasted several dozen pods from the Carolina Reaper.
Not only are they obviously HOT….more important they are so delicious.
The Reaper has a hint of citrus and a flower type of scent….and many say an undertone of cinnamon and chocolate….maybe cherry too.
Check it out at my company or at Ed’s.
Fiery Regards,