Ahead of a full article on the UK Chilli Cook Association (UKCCA) heats taking place this year, here is some information on the heat being held in Bedfordshire at The Mansion House Chilli & Gourmet Food Fiesta;
Chilli aficionados who believe they can cook an amazing Chilli-Con-Carne now have an opportunity to see how their favourite recipe compares with the best in the UK. The Mansion House at Old Warden, in association with Edible Ornamentals and the UK Chilli Cook Off Association, are holding the first heat in the Great British Chilli Cook Off. This event will be one of the highlights of the Chilli and Gourmet Food Fiesta which will be held in the grounds of The Mansion House on 8th and 9th June.
Hugely popular in the USA, chilli cook offs are rapidly becoming popular here in the UK. Teams of up to 4 keen chilli fans will have 4 hours to prepare and cook one gallon of chilli con carne to their own recipe which will then be judged by an expert panel. The hottest chilli won’t necessarily be the winner as judges will be looking for the best appearance, aroma, consistency, taste and aftertaste of the chilli. The winning team will receive a cash prize of £250 and entry into the UK final of the UK Chilli Cook Off which will be held later in the year. The winners of the UK final will a free expenses-paid trip to Las Vegas to represent the UK in the World Chilli Cook Off event.
Members of the public will also be invited to sample and judge the best chilli. The prizes for the public judging will include a Chilli Tour and Tasting for Two at Edible Ornamentals, the world’s first pick-your-own chilli nursery, and afternoon tea for four at The Mansion House. The proceeds from the public judging will be donated to CLIC Sargent, the UK’s leading cancer charity for children and young people, and their families. The UK Chilli Cook Off Association hope to exceed their charity donations for last year when they raised over £4000 for cancer charities.
To enter a team for the Chilli Cook Off at The Mansion House contact Shelley on 01767 626208 or register online at www.ukchillicookoff.co.uk
- 2013 is the 3rd year the Chilli and Gourmet Food Fiesta has been held at The Mansion House
- Teams will have 4 hours to cook a gallon of chilli from scratch, bringing their own ingredients and cooking facilities (Camping Gas or BBQ).
- Each team’s Chilli will be judged by a panel of Chilli experts. Entry fee is £10 per team (teams can be made up of any number of people).
- The competition will be split over the two days. Teams will only need to compete on either the Saturday or the Sunday, not both days. The team with the highest score over the weekend wins
- All money raised from the Bedfordshire Chilli Cook-off will be donated to CLIC Sargent